The Beginning: Before Pro Hockey (Part II)


In Part I of "The Beginning," Mariners players discussed how they first started playing hockey, the teams they played on as kids, crossing paths with current teammates in their youth, and their ultimate career goals. Read Part I here.

And now, Part II...

Written by Bryce Aldrich, edited and published by Michael Keeley

Scott Savage played for the USNTDP from 2011-13. 
Photo credit: Getty Images
Scott Savage had the chance to join the United States National Team Development Program before taking his talents to college hockey. 

“It was a great opportunity. You play in the [United States Hockey League] against bigger, older, stronger guys. It was an honor getting to play for USA, but also playing against the best players in your age group was a good was to see where you’re at with people your own age. During the second year we played against colleges in exhibition games. We played against New Hampshire, Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, and all the big schools. It was a very valuable experience before going into college. You’re the only college freshmen to have played against college teams before getting to school. They do a great job at developing you off the ice with very rigorous off-ice training. You really just develop all assets of your game.”

Many players look back fondly at their days in the high school, junior, and college ranks, where winning championships created long-lasting bonds, and fueled their love of the game.

“I won the Memorial Cup in Windsor, which was really nice to show that I could be a part of a winning team and play big minutes on a winning team. That year rejuvenated me and made me believe that I can still play high-end hockey. My point total went up that year, my goal total went up that year. It was just an all-around a really good season.” 
-Sean Day

“I played high school hockey with a group of my really good buddies and we won a high school championship together. I was pretty young, I was a sophomore at the time, still growing and becoming the player that I am now. I scored in overtime to win, which was a pretty special time. It is still something that my buddies from home talk about when we get together.” 
-Dillan Fox

"Big Mo" was once Little Mo. 
Photo credit: ArmadaHockey.ca
“It was my 19-year-old year with the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada when we went to the QMJHL finals. Going through the four rounds of playoffs and living with the boys is probably my greatest achievements in hockey.” 
-Morgan Adams-Moisan

“At [Boston College] we made it to the NCAA Frozen Four twice, which was a pretty big achievement, but unfortunately we came up short both times. Winning two Beanpot Tournaments at BC was really special, (one of which was won with Josh Couturier). It’s a prestigious tournament for all of the Boston schools and to be able to win that twice was two of my favorite memories from school.” 
-Scott Savage

Every Mariner had a moment that they realized that professional hockey might be an option. Some didn’t realize until they started being approached by professional teams, while other had that realization moment at a younger age.

“When I went and played [NCAA] Division I and when I was at the University of Massachusetts, I felt like I wanted to give it a try and make a career out of it. One thing led to another and I was fortunate enough to get picked up by Wheeling [Nailers] and even more fortunate to get traded to Maine!” 
-Josh Couturier

Michael McNicholas at UNH
Photo credit: SBNCollegeHockey.com
“When I was playing college, it was a goal of mine to keep playing after. During my sophomore and junior years of college is when I developed a lot.” 
-Michael McNicholas

“During my 19-year-old playoffs. That is when I realized that I could make an impact playing my game and that is when it clicked for me.” 
-Morgan Adams-Moisan

“I never really thought about it. Probably when I started playing in the Western Hockey League is when I figured I could play professionally. I didn’t know if I could play in the NHL, but I knew I could play pro and make a living playing hockey, but it wasn’t a thought growing up.” 
-Conner Bleackley

“There were some of my friends that I played with at SUNY Plattsburgh that were playing in the Southern Professional Hockey League. I actually didn’t expect to keep playing. One of those friends called me and I said ‘Yeah, I’ll come check it out’. As that goes on the more success I started to have and maybe I can keep climbing. I didn’t really expect to be where I am and get that opportunity with Hartford. It is still kind of surreal. It was all about knowing where I belong and it was kind of a tough thing for me, but when I just started to play that is when it took off.” 
-Dillan Fox


Dillan Fox in his DIII days at SUNY Plattsburgh
Photo credit: Gabe Dickens

“When I was playing in the QMJHL, I was a quite a hitter and an energy guy. I was one of the best at it in the QMJHL. My coaches were telling me that if I keep improving that way of playing that I was be able to play pro one day and I took that very seriously from that moment.” 
-Mikael Robidoux

“I was going to NHL development camps through college for pro teams who didn’t draft me or anything but had interest. I went to several development camps over the summers from freshman to senior year. At that point I knew it was a possibility and I continue to push towards that goal.” 
-Scott Savage

“Even when I was in the Ontario Hockey League, I never thought about it honestly. Everyone talks about wanting to play in the NHL, but I was so young back then that I didn’t even think about that. I was just living in the moment. I think It was my second or third year in the OHL that I was like, ‘Woah, I could really make a career out of this’.” 
-Sean Day

Every player grew up watching the game of hockey and still do to this day. Conner Bleackley’s favorite player was Joe Sakic, who ironically assisted in drafting Bleackley in the first round of the NHL Draft to the Colorado Avalanche. Morgan Adamas-Moisan’s favorite was a teammate for a significant amount of Sakic’s career: Peter Forsberg. For Sean Day, his favorite players were and still are Sidney Crosby and Drew Doughty. Mikael Robidoux also mentioned Crosby as his favorite player in his younger years. Since then he had developed a liking for Tom Wilson, who he also credited as the person that he models his game after. Dillan Fox, who cheered for the Flyers growing up, was a fan of John LeClair.


Conner Bleackley was drafted twice - the first time by Colorado 
Photo credit: NHL.com

"I loved watching Scott Niedermayer when he played for the [Anaheim] Ducks. The had a lot of success when he was their captain and I got to watch them win a Stanley Cup. He was just such an unbelievable skater and so poised with the puck. I really liked watching him.” 
-Scott Savage

“I really liked Pavel Datsuyk. I just thought that he was so good with the puck and so fun to watch. I also like Nicklas Backstrom. A good puck moving center that can always find players who are open. If I were to pick a guy that model my game after, I would say Backstrom.” 
-Michael McNicholas

“My favorite player growing up honestly was Kyle McClaren. He was a defenseman and I loved his game so I took up the number 18 and wore that number for as long as I can remember. Right now, my favorite player is John Carlson.” 
-Josh Couturier

The players would not have had to opportunity to become professional hockey players without their parents. Each player credits their folks to being a significant part of their success.

“First of all, the time and effort that they put in because they have been following my brothers and I since we were little. There is the money aspect for sure too. It’s not a secret to anybody, hockey is a very expensive sport. So, we were very lucky for them to put the time, effort, and money to put us through it.” 
-Morgan Adams-Moisan

“It was a big financial commitment. Travel hockey, especially in California is not cheap, with all the gear and everything. We had to manage our money the best we could. That was a big part of it and then there is the time commitment where we drove 40 minutes each was for practice. We were practicing two to three times a week and then having games. So honestly, five to six days out of the week we were commuting at least 40 minutes each way just for practice or games. So, I am very thankful that my parents were able to commit to that.” 
-Scott Savage

Sean "back in the" Day

Photo credit: ontariohockeyleague.com
“Hockey is obviously an expensive sport, but I also have three other brothers. Both of my parents sacrificed things for me that helped me out a lot, such as tournaments in Toronto or the Quebec Tournament, I played a tournament out in Edmonton. Just the traveling like that. I think they spent a lot more time traveling for me just because I did hockey than they did any of my brothers. So that was helpful. My dad’s job had him working globally and he traveled a lot. Later on, before he retired, he stopped traveling as much and taking meetings in Europe and Asia just so he could watch more of my hockey and take me places so my mom could relax a bit.” 
-Sean Day

“Spending money on travel, especially on those teams in California. Just the money and the time that they spent driving, making long road trips every couple weeks. My dad coaching me took a lot of time away from his work when I was younger too.” 
-Michael McNicholas

“Obviously financially, it is a pretty big commitment. The higher you go, the more expensive it was. There were times that I used to play street hockey in Calgary. My dad would come straight from work and drive me to Calgary, which was about an hour. If it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t be playing pro hockey, because they drove me everywhere and they enjoyed it too.” 
-Conner Bleackley

“When I was young - fifth or sixth grade, playing for the Jr. Flyers, it was an hour and a half from my house. Think about the practices and all the driving that they did three to four times a week. I couldn’t just play in town, I wanted to challenge myself by getting out. It’s not cheap either so I’m sure it was tough at times, but they always made it work and always made sure I was where I needed to be.” 
-Dillan Fox

“Every year we had a couple tournaments that were a few hours away from home. They had to take days off of their jobs to come with me for the weekends.”
-Mikael Robidoux
Josh Couturier raises the "Beanpot" in 2015-16 
Photo credit: Newburyportnews.com

“Well, hockey is an expensive sport so obviously money is a factor. They could have used that for vacations, but gear is so expensive, and they paid for that. It also took away from them spending time with my siblings. One of them was always driving me to the rink and my grandfather was driving me to the rink a lot. The biggest sacrifice was family time.” 
-Josh Couturier

And now that they're "all grown up," the Mariners have advice they can pass on to the next generation of hockey players that look to follow in their footsteps.

“Have fun and be a good teammate. Play other sports. Enjoy hockey because it is supposed be fun, but nowadays it gets a little crazy with some of the parents. If you just have fun and have a passion for the game and you work hard, anything can happen!” 
-Conner Bleackley

“Have fun and play multiple sports. I think roller hockey was a big part of why I was successful on ice. I also played soccer growing up. So, to not be so focused on hockey but to develop yourself as an athlete. Also, to control what you can control and have fun because everything else can fall into place from there.” 
-Scott Savage

“Don’t try to look too far. Just do your best right now and it’s going to lead you somewhere. Hard workers are going to get compensated at one point or another, so just work hard and good things are going to happen.” 
-Morgan Adams-Moisan

“Some of my advice would be to just enjoy it. Try other sports as well. I know for me, I played lacrosse and baseball. Lacrosse has helped me tremendously and how to think. It’s similar to hockey to and it is fast paced. I played strictly offense in lacrosse and doing that I was able to evolve my offensive game for hockey too. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket and have fun and enjoy it. Don’t get worked up about if you have a bad game. It is what it is, and it is about what you’re going to do better next game.” 
-Josh Couturier

“Keep playing some other sports. Have a life outside the game. Some guys move away so early and uproot their lives for the game and some things don’t work out, so just enjoy it. At the end of the day, we are all going to have something else going on when it is all said and done. Just enjoy it, don’t take things to seriously, and have a life outside of the game. You can get stuck in the mentality of ‘It’s hockey or the end of the world’.” 
-Dillan Fox

“Have fun and have good attention to detail. There are so many important things that you learn when you’re younger and if you’re able to take those things and apply them to your learning and your development, I feel like those are the players that really stand out. That’s really an important asset to have.” 
-Michael McNicholas

“Take your time. Learn the game. Don’t rush anything. Get proper training and the proper diet before moving away from home and playing juniors or college or anything.” 
-Sean Day

“To never stop dreaming. If you have a goal and you have dream, go and get it. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.” 
-Mikael Robidoux

Mikael Robidoux followed his dream to pro hockey
Photo credit: journaldequebec.com

Comments