Holiday for Hockey Players

Written by Bryce Aldrich, edited and published by Michael Keeley



The holidays are celebrated differently by each family throughout the world. For the Mariners family, each individual celebrates a little differently but all for the same reason. The Mariners come from all over, with four Canadian provinces and ten American states being represented, all of them have their own traditions, Christmas memories, favorite gifts, and much more.

Mariners media assistant Bryce Aldrich caught up with Mariners players Terrence Wallin, Zach Tolkinen, Scott Savage, Ted Hart, Connor LaCouvee, and Brandon Crawley about their Christmases back home.

“Christmas time is a chance to spend time with family and friends. It’s nice to get a chance to get back home for a couple days and see loved ones.
-Captain Zach Tolkinen


“It’s definitely a time that I cherish because it’s the only time during the season that I get to go home and see my family as well as my extended family.”
-Assistant Captain Scott Savage


How Has Playing Pro Hockey Changed Christmas Time For You?

Playing professional hockey is ever player’s goal, but with that means sacrificing family time and the ability to go home. Goaltender Connor LaCouvee (Qualicum Beach, British Columbia) said "hockey has made me appreciate the time I get to come home and spend time with my family. When you have the ability to see your family every day, you don’t realize how important that is."


Defenseman Scott Savage (San Clemente, California) mentioned, “it’s definitely made it more significant and a little more special. It’s always been a special time of the year but considering the fact that since my junior year of high school, I’ve only been able to go home during the season for Christmas.”

Defenseman Brandon Crawley (Glen Rock, New Jersey) added that the break “allows you to refocus from everything, come home, and enjoy the quality time with your family and friends.”



“Obviously when you’re younger, it’s all about presents and what you asked Santa for. Now, it’s all about seeing people I care about and go have a few drinks and dinner and catch up. I still love going all out by decorating, listening to music and decorating.”
 -Alternate Captain Terrence Wallin


“You don’t see your siblings or parents as much being so far away, so you enjoy the holiday season because it’s a chance for everyone to get together. I have a sister who is in Portland, Oregon now, a sister who is around the Twin Cites (Minnesota), and a brother up in northern Minnesota going to school, so it’s nice to get everyone back together for a few days.”
-Captain Zach Tolkinen

“You value the time around Christmas a little bit more. It’s nice to have the break from practice and hockey and to get away from the game a little bit. I definitely value just being around family and friends and cherishing that time.”
-Cumberland, Maine native Ted Hart


What Family Traditions Do You Have for Christmas?

Family traditions can range anywhere from receiving something on before Christmas to going somewhere or doing something as a family. Ted Hart mentioned that he goes to Massachusetts two days before to celebrate with his mother’s side and then goes the church the night before. For both Connor LaCouvee and Terrence Wallin, they grew up always getting new pajamas on Christmas Eve, at the same time that Brandon Crawley’s family “goes skating at the Rockefeller Center in New York City.” They all do their traditional presents in the morning, but for some, the events after are what they look forward to the most.

Image result for rockefeller center skating rink"

For Scott Savage’s family back home in San Clemente, California, they get to enjoy a nice warm 65-75-degree day. He mentioned, “We do a whiffle ball game in our front yard.” On the other side of the country back in Cumberland, Maine, Ted Hart enjoys his Christmas afternoon a bit differently. “My father, two brothers, and I build a rink in our backyard every year and play a 2 on 2 pond hockey game.” Zach Tolkinen also grew up building a rink their yard. He said, “We would go out and skate every Christmas Eve. Those are special memories.”

“Every year growing up we always went to Christmas Eve Mass as a family, then went home and got new pajamas. Christmas Day was a big brunch after we opened presents. Now, my fiance's family has a big party on Christmas Eve where lots of people that she grew up with come that I’ve come to be close with. I also love sharing our family traditions with my nephews and niece now and seeing how much they love it.” He also included, “Christmas time means getting in the spirit with family and friends. I think it’s important to remember what Christmas actually means and another chance to be thankful for what you have. It means decorating, listening to Christmas tunes and watching classic Christmas movies. I love Santa Claus and Miracle on 34th Street, but Elf and Christmas Vacation probably top the list.”
-Alternate Captain Terrence Wallin

Image result for christmas vacation"

What Kind of Meals Would Your Family Have?

Throughout the world there is variety of different holiday food that is consumed. Zach Tolkinen said, “My mom is a great cook. Christmas Eve is usually ham and Swedish meatballs. Christmas cookies all around the house of course. Then Christmas morning is a big brunch with different egg bakes/quiches and cinnamon rolls.” For Terrence Wallin, his family would go out for a nice dinner with his aunt and uncle on Christmas Eve. The day of, their family meals consist of “eggs, bacon, ham, pancakes, all sorts of danishes and stuff like that.” For Ted Hart’s family, they “usually do ham and potatoes and then a lot of cookies.”

“We do a big breakfast. We do an egg dish with some sausage and coffees. It depends on the year but we either do Italian or Mexican.”
-Alternate Captain Scott Savage

“I have a big Italian family, so it’s a lot of pasta dishes, zitis, chicken parm, and stuff like that.”
-Defenseman Brandon Crawley

What is Your Favorite Christmas Memory, as well as Your Favorite Gift That You’ve Ever Received?

“I remember walking down and seeing a hockey stick wrapped up. I had asked for the first composite stick that ever came out, the Easton Synergy. I also remember when the first PlayStation came out that was me and my brother’s big gift. It was awesome going down into the basement and playing that all day.”
-Alternate Captain Terrence Wallin

“One year I got a real hockey net for the back yard which was pretty sweet because I was just getting into hockey and it was something I really wanted.”
-Alternate Captain Scott Savage

“I used to get hockey sticks, those were always pretty cool. We got an Xbox one year, that was the first time having a video game console and that was a big one. My favorite memory is my brothers and I sledding. There’s a big hill by our house and Christmas day we used to always go sledding on the hill. I have some specific memories that stick in my mind from those trips.”
-Forward Ted Hart

“When I was probably five or so, I woke up to Santa bringing me my first hockey net. That is one that was pretty cool, and I still remember how excited I was.”
-Captain Zach Tolkinen

“My favorite gift is a portable stereo my parents gave me.”
-Goaltender Connor LaCouvee

“I got a dirt bike one year, that was pretty cool.”
-Defenseman Brandon Crawley

Comments